Thursday 12 March 2015

Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - thoughts

Today is a very sad day for me and millions of readers around the world. Within the last hour or so it has been announced that Sir Terry Pratchett has lost his fight against poor health (Alzheimers) and passed on from our world. I didn't plan on writing this blog post but found myself here by chance, so......here goes.....

My first encounter with Terry Pratchett and Discworld was one of those happy coincidences - I was in a book club and forgot to place an order so they sent me Book of the Month (you had to buy something!!). That book happened to be Mort. I was taken in straight away by the artwork on the cover (Josh Kirby?) so dipped in and have never looked back.. That was the mid eighties I think so I guess I've been visiting Discworld for nigh on 25-30 years.

Over the years Terry P has written a vast number of books covering several genre types, not only on Discworld but I guess those are the ones he will be most remembered for. His wit and intelligence shone from the page, sometimes making you smirk, sometimes a wry grin or a chuckle and at times making you laugh till your sides hurt.*

There have been many, many great authors over the years and I would like to think that Terry Pratchett will be ranked up with the best of them. A great man who I had the good fortune to meet once at a book signing (Hogfather) and the queue was immense but he still took as long as was needed to sign everyone's books.

I may have more to add in the future but for now I feel too numb to think. All that is left to say is "Sleep well Sir, and rest in peace......oh, and thank you for allowing us to share your world"

*Oh, come on, it wouldn't be Terry without a footnote ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment