Wednesday 2 April 2014

Moribund Tales by Erik Hofstatter (a review)

A bit of a mixed bag this one. It's a collection of short stories (9 over about 50 pages).

The collection starts off well with INTERNAL ABDUCTION, a slightly predictable but still enjoyable "body horror" tale. This is followed by LAST STRAW OF HUMANITY, a "creature in the cellar" story that didn't finish as I thought it might.

For me, the best of these stories were TEARS OF REPENTANCE, a historical tale of love and vengeance, and INFANTS FINGERS (more vengeance with added deception). INFANTS FINGERS is the only tale in this book that isn't told in the first person, and, in my opinion, is better for it.

The last two stories, ON THE EDGE OF THE MARSH and AFFECTIONATE CADAVER,  both left me feeling a bit short changed, but not in such a bad way. I just wanted more from the story. "MARSH" had an interesting set up that ended without answering all my questions - the story had real potential and I would very much like to see an expanded version. This felt very much like a sample chapter.

AFFECTIONATE CADAVER, again, could do with being longer. The story is horrible (in a good way - one of those that makes you uncomfortable, as a good horror story should!). And the main character is a truly vile person. A cracking end to the book.

All being said and done, this is a decent little collection of stories at just the right kind of length for a coffee break. I will be looking out for more from this author.

3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment